Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Financial Aid FAQ’s

What does it mean that my financial aid is estimated?

Financial aid awards are usually calculated based upon assumed full-time enrollment. All awards are therefore tentative and may be adjusted to reflect changes in your enrollment. If your award is adjusted you may incur a debt to the College.

When will the FAO confirm my financial aid?

The FAO will confirm your actual enrollment at the end of the add/drop period for each session. If you are not enrolled fulltime at that point (12 credits or more for the semester) your award will be adjusted as required. Please note: you must be enrolled for at least six credits to be eligible for a student loan.

Can I use my financial aid to purchase my books?

Yes, if you are eligible for financial aid that exceeds the cost of your tuition and fees you may be eligible to use a portion of your estimated financial aid to purchase your required books and supplies in the campus books stores. FSCJ will advance funding to you as a book authorization. The advance funding is an institutional loan of anticipated financial aid. You are only permitted to use your book authorization to purchase those books and supplies that are required for your classes.

When will I receive my financial aid that exceeds that amount needed to pay for my tuition, fees and books?

The College usually receives payment from the federal and state financial aid programs at the end of September. At that time the College will credit your account and transmit any credit balance (the amount that remains after your tuition, fees and books have been deducted) to your HigherOne card (FSCJ Refund Card).

First Pay - Feb. 13, 2014 is first pay, please allow three to five days after Feb. 13, 2014 for the release of funds to your HigherOne card (FSCJ Refund Card). The amount of time that is required for funds to be available on your HigherOne card depends upon the options that you selected when you registered for your card.

What do I have to do to keep my financial aid for future semesters?

In additional to submitting your FAFSA and scholarship applications each year, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid. Attending your classes and earning good grades is required for continued financial aid eligibility. If you stop attending your classes before the end of the semester the College is required to return your financial aid to the federal government. You will then have a debt with the College that you are responsible for paying. Be sure to review the College's academic requirements for financial aid recipients in the catalog.

More Information

  • Application Process

  • Enrollment / Academic Status

  • Award Letter / Summary

  • Loan Process

  • Disbursement

How can I apply for financial aid assistance?

Apply online at FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). First request a PIN for yourself (and your parents, if dependent) before applying. Florida State College’s school code is 001484.

Can international students apply for financial aid?

Yes. However, international students must apply at their campus enrollment services/financial aid office.

How can I view the status of my financial aid file?

Log on at Connections to view your personal Florida State College Web page and financial aid status. Click “financial aid” to view your financial aid status.

Connections shows I'm missing a form, where can I get a copy of financial aid forms?

It’s easy. Locate the financial aid form you need at the top right corner of your Florida State College personal Web page. Select “form” and print. Log on at Connections.

Where do I submit my financial aid forms to complete my application?

The choice is yours. Submit your financial aid forms at any Florida State College campus enrollment services office.

How can I claim "independent" status?

Only one condition is required to claim “independent” status: Students 24 years of age OR married OR with dependent children OR other dependents OR U.S. veteran OR both parents deceased OR a ward of the court. All other students need their parent’s financial information to complete their financial aid form.

I never lived with my parents, how do I complete the FAFSA parent information section?

Seek help. There are certain questions a campus financial aid advisor needs to ask you to determine your next step.

If my parents don't provide their tax information can I still apply for financial aid?

No, if you are a dependent student, you are required to provide your parent(s) tax information to complete the financial aid application.

What tax forms are needed to apply for financial aid?

You will need your tax return and W-2s from the previous year to complete the financial aid application.

If I didn't file taxes can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes, if you or your parents are not required to file a tax return by IRS guidelines, you may still complete the financial aid application.

Why does it take so long for the financial aid application to be completely processed?

Once you have completed the financial aid application, your information will be downloaded from FAFSA by Florida State College. If your file is selected for verification, you will be required to submit additional documents/forms to complete your file. The verification process can take up to 30 days to complete. The verification process does not start until all requested documents have been submitted.

What is verification? And why was I selected?

Verification requires you to submit supporting tax returns, W-2s, and other requested documentation used to complete your financial aid application. Once all requested documents are submitted to the financial aid office, the documents are reviewed for accuracy and compared against information reported on the financial aid application to insure accuracy of information reported. Verification can take up to 30 days. Thirty percent of students that apply for financial aid are randomly chosen for verification.

What is the Letter of Non-filing? Where do I obtain this letter?

A Letter of Non-filing is a document you obtain from the IRS that verifies you did not and were not required to file a tax return. You may obtain a Letter of Non-filing (4506-T) request form from the IRS Web site or call the IRS at 1(800) 829-1040.

Can I receive financial aid if I did not graduate from high school?

A student must have either a standard high school diploma or high school equivalency degree in order to be eligible for financial aid. A student will not be eligible for financial aid until the transcript reflects their graduation date.

How do my previous college transcripts affect my financial aid?

It is required that all previous accredited college transcripts be evaluated. GPA’s from those transcripts will be transferred as well as successful and unsuccessful courses.

How does my program of study (POS) affect my financial aid?

The program of study that you choose is important because not all programs are eligible for financial aid. Any of the A.S. degrees or A.A. degree are eligible programs for financial aid. If you are choosing a technical certificate or a vocational program requiring less than 600 clock hours/24 credits, you should check with your financial aid office. The financial aid office will be able to inform you if the program you have chosen is an eligible program.

If I graduated with a degree can I apply for financial assistance?

If you already have a four year degree or higher and all your credits transfer then you will exceed the 150 percent standard of academic progress (SAP). This will make you ineligible for financial aid unless you qualify for an appeal.

If you are attempting to receive two degrees at Florida State College then it is possible to complete two programs. For example, you may be getting an A.A. degree and an A.S. degree that require all the same general education requirements (math, English, humanities etc). You have used some of your elective hours toward classes needed for an A.S. degree then you may actually receive both degrees without exceeding the 150 percent standard of progress therefore eligible to receive financial aid throughout both degrees. In order to accomplish this goal you must make sure not to take any unnecessary classes. It is advised that you see your academic advisor at least every other semester to be assured that all classes are within one of your programs of study.

Does financial aid cover non-degree seeking programs?

No, for general purposes financial aid requires that a student be degree/certificate seeking. A student can be in a vocational program, teaching certificate or in a technical certificate that is an eligible program and still receive financial aid.

What programs of study are eligible for financial aid funding?

A.A., A.S. and A.A.S. degrees are eligible for Title IV financial aid. Technical certificates with a minimum of 24 credit hours and vocational programs with 600 or more hours are also eligible for Title IV financial aid.

Am I eligible for financial aid if I am on academic warning or probation?

Students meet with academic advisors if they are on academic warning or probation. If the student is allowed to register then they will be eligible to receive financial aid. The only exception is if the student is not meeting satisfactory academic progress. An appeal process is in place if the students have extenuating circumstances.

What is verified attendance?

Verified attendance takes place after the initial add drop period. Students have the opportunity to attend each class one time before the drop period. Some scholarships such as child care verify attendance.

My financial aid appeal was denied. Are there any other funding sources available?

Check with your financial aid office to learn of any possible funding. Some options are available and can be reviewed on an individual basis.

How do I transfer my financial aid from one institution to another?

Financial aid is not transferable, however, students may go on-line with their federal pin number and add the school code of the new institution they are transferring to. The student may also call 1.880.4.FED.AID if they have the DRN# from their student aid report. Students transferring during spring or summer sessions that have Stafford loans will want to contact their lender to cancel the second disbursement of their loan so they can reapply at the new school.

What happens if I completely stop attending all of my classes?

You must officially withdraw from school. The College is required to return a portion of your financial aid to Federal Student Aid Programs. Florida State College will calculate the appropriate amount to be returned based on a federally mandated formula. As a result, you may be responsible for a portion of your bill and/or repayment of some financial aid funds that were already disbursed to you, unless you complete more than 60 percent of the semester. If you unofficially withdraw (stop attending) or your academic transcript reflects unsuccessful completion of all courses, Florida State College will have your aid calculated based on completing 50 percent of the term. As a result, you will be required to return a portion of the aid you received, and you will be responsible for your unpaid educational expenses. Documentation of an academic related activity may be used to calculate the last date of attendance. A detailed statement on the refund policy is on file in the campus enrollment services/financial aid office.

How does financial aid determine the amount of money I can receive?

Cost of education, minus (EFC) Expected Family Contribution, minus other aid/benefits, equals financial need. Once eligibility is established, aid may be adjusted based on enrollment.

Financial need is the difference from cost of education, minus EFC and other aid.
Cost of Education: Educational budget used to calculate the cost of education. This budget includes items such as tuition, fees, books, transportation, room/board and personal/miscellaneous items.
Information provided on your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is used to calculate your EFC. EFC is the amount you/your family are expected to contribute to the cost of your education.
Other aid/resources: Include such benefits as veterans benefits, scholarships, work-study, loans and sources other than awarded by Florida State College.
Aid will be adjusted based on number of enrolled credit hours.
For more information on EFC, visit the SallieMae®® Web site.

A free Pell estimator is available online through Florida State College’s Connections under “financial aid.”

How can I view the status of my award letter?

Students can log on to their Connections student account, select “current academic year,” then select “financial aid” to see the status of their financial aid award along with other important financial aid information and forms. Award information is also sent to students through their College e-mail address. It is the student’s responsibility to review their College e-mail regularly to obtain important information that may impact their award status.

How can I decline or modify my student loan?

To decline or modify your student loan, go to Connections, “Financial Aid,” select the term, select "Award Summary" and then choose "Modify Loan." Please allow up to thirty business days for the request to be processed. Only submit your request ONCE. If you request a loan modification for the academic year, you must have a clear, good standing, Satisfactory Academic Progress status or an approved appeal for the term in which you wish to receive loans. If you are on SAP Warning or have an approved appeal (SAP Probation) you can only be awarded a loan for one term. One term loans are disbursed in two equal payments. The second payment will not occur until the mid-point of the semester. Check your SAP status on Connections by clicking on your financial aid checklist.

How can I reject my scholarship or third-party payment?

For scholarships, please follow the directions provided with your scholarship award letter/packet. For third-party, please follow the directions provided by your third-party provider.

What is available resources?

All sources of aid and/or assistance offered to the student to assist with their educational needs.

What is financial aid need?

Cost of education, minus (EFC) Expected Family Contribution, minus other aid/benefits, equals financial need.

Can I use financial aid and the Bright Futures scholarship at the same time?

Yes, Pell Grants and Bright Futures can be awarded at the same time. Other aid, such as loans, work-study, scholarships and other grants may be adjusted as the financial need is met.

Will my financial aid pay for my tuition and fees?

The student aid office will notify the business office of your financial aid award. The aid will automatically be applied against your bill. For Stafford Loan recipients, loan funds will not be available for coverage to pay for your tuition and fees until Florida State College has a record of your signed promissory note and completion of the entrance loan counseling requirement.

If the combined aid (Pell Grant, SEOG, FSAG, Star Opportunity Grant (formerly Institutional Needs Fund), Stafford Student Loan, PSAV Grant and other scholarships) is not enough to cover your tuition and fees, you must pay the difference from your own resources by the final payment deadline date. Your classes will be cancelled if the bill is not paid in full.

How do I apply for a loan?

For 2011-2012, the loan question has been removed from the FAFSA. Before requesting a loan students must be awarded. Check your award summary in Connections. If you were awarded a loan and wish to make changes you can request changes by clicking the modify loan button. If you were not awarded a loan and still wish to request one, check to see if the add loan button is active on your award summary screen. If so, please click and follow the instructions provided. If you do not see an add loan button, it means we need additional information to complete your loan request. Check your financial aid checklist and look for the loan request status. If the status is action required, click the link and follow the instructions provided.
To be eligible for a loan, you must have a complete financial aid file at Florida State College at Jacksonville. A complete financial aid file consists of completion of a FASFA form, as well as submission of any forms or additional information requested. You can view these requirements in Connections.

How does my enrollment affect my loan?

Federal loans require that you maintain a minimum of half time each term that you wish to receive a portion of your loan. Half time is at least six credit hours. If you drop, cancel or withdraw from a class that makes you less than six credit hours prior to your loan being disbursed, you will not be eligible for that loan.

How do I choose a lender?

Due to recent enacted legislation, there is no need to request a lender. Florida State College at Jacksonville participates in the William D. Ford Direct Loan program. All loans are offered by the federal government.

Why must I complete a loan request form?

The loan request form is part of a financial literacy service that the College is providing at no cost to the student. Students may have sufficient funds to cover their college expenses without taking on additional loan debt. The loan request form helps the student determine whether or not taking on additional debt is a wise decision for them, as well as informs the financial aid office of the amount of loan funds being requested.

How do I complete loan entrance counseling?

Visit to complete your entrance counseling.

Can I apply for a loan if I am not earning a degree?

No, you must be degree seeking in a program of study that is approved for financial aid.

What is the status of my student loan?

Visit Connections “award summary” for complete details of your student loan.

How can I decline or modify my student loan?

To decline or modify your student loan, go to Connections, "Financial Aid," select the term, select "Award Summary" and then choose "Modify Loan." Please allow up to thirty business days for the request to be processed. Only submit your request ONCE. If you request a loan modification for the academic year, you must have a clear, good standing, Satisfactory Academic Progress status or an approved appeal for the term in which you wish to receive loans. If you are on SAP Warning or have an approved appeal (SAP Probation) you can only be awarded a loan for one term. One term loans are disbursed in two equal payments. The second payment will not occur until the mid-point of the semester. Check your SAP status on Connections by clicking on your financial aid checklist.

What is a disbursement hold?

A disbursement hold indicates that you still have a document to submit or action to fulfill in order for your funds to be released. These holds are listed on the disbursement page in Connections. Most often, this is a document such as authorization for EFT disbursement or, if you are not a U.S. citizen, there is a tax form you must complete before funds can be disbursed. You can always contact your campus enrollment services office for detailed information about disbursements holds.

When will my funds be disbursed?

Financial aid funds will be disbursed on or after the published first pay deadline each term for all students who have retained eligibility and who have complete files and awards ready to be disbursed. In addition to having a complete file, most awards require a minimum enrollment, such as six credits for most Title IV federal aid and state programs. The minimum enrollment is based on your verified attendance. If you do not meet the disbursement requirements on the first pay, your funds may be released to you upon completion of your requirements during the term.

Why is the net disbursed amount of my Direct loan amount smaller than the amount I borrowed?

Effective for Federal Direct Student Loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2010, a loan origination fee of 1.0 percent will be deducted from the proceeds of your loan prior to funds being disbursed to the College. An upfront rebate to the student at the time of the disbursement of .05 percent will also be calculated. Therefore, the net difference between the amount borrowed and the amount disbursed is .5 percent. You may obtain more information about Direct student loans at

Why haven't all of my awards disbursed?

Individual awards have different terms and conditions, once all terms and conditions are met, the funds may be disbursed. These various conditions may be requirements for additional documentation for a specific fund, or the fund might require a higher level of verified enrollment. Some funds may be released for part-time attendance and others may require full-time attendance. Pell Grant awards are adjusted based upon enrollment. See the terms and conditions of each of your awards for further details.

What is a pending disbursement?

A pending disbursement is one that will be made later based on terms and conditions of the award.

Other Information

Purchasing Books

For more information about buying books, visit the student financial services Web page.


For information about scholarships, visit the scholarships Web page.

Student Employment

For information about student employment, visit the work-study information page.

Veterans Benefits

For more information, visit the veterans benefits Web pages.